In the beginning …
The story of BCH starts with three Victorian entrepreneurs – a brassfounder, a one-time gold prospector and a confectioner. Luke Collier, William Brierley and Thomas Hartley started their businesses in 1835, 1844 and 1870 respectively.
William Brierley purchased the business of Luke Collier (in conjunction with Mr Thomas Holt JP of Castleton) in 1913. In 1924 these two businesses amalgamated their interests with Thomas Hartley & Son to form Brierley, Collier & Hartley (BCH). A new factory was purchased and a London office opened later that year.
Please visit our timeline to look at the history of BCH from 1835 to today.